Saturday, January 2, 2010

How to look cute during the winter

I always found it difficult to look super cute during the freezing days of Winter. I found these tips from InStyle and I thought I'd elaborate on them...

7 Ways To Look Cozy-Chic (Not Dumpy!)

Cuff Your Jeans

Joy BryantWhen the temps turn freezing, nothing sounds more appealing than putting on your favorite pair of jeans and an ultra-long grandpa cardigan. Avoid looking dowdy by cuffing your denim—the rolled-up hem slims the cut of the jeans, balancing out the cardigan's bulk. Bonus: You get to show off your favorite winter boots!

my opinion: I like long cardigans, BUT i hate it when people wear short coats with them. So make sure you have a long coat with it because you will look like that crazy homeless lady who pushes her cart in the movie Confessions of a shop-a-holic. I don't know if I like rolling up jeans... It kinda looks boyish to me, but hey some people can pull of the boyfriend look and still look girly, so more power to them!

Pair Sleek Accessories With Skinny Jeans

Cameron DiazKeep your bundled-up top half in check with a skinny jeans/sharp accessories combo. The slim leg will balance out a heavy coat, and patent accessories, will keep the look sleek, not frumpy.

my opinion: I love this idea and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this look on Cameron Diaz!! It makes you seem really classy and everything balances out! You can wear this for different occasions to dressing it up to an everyday look. Its easy to shop for this look and it's simple.

Slim Your Silhouette With Leggings

RihannaYour favorite roomy wrap sweater needs only one thing to go from couch to street—leggings! The stretchy (hence comfy) pant creates a slender bottom half, balancing out your sweater's bulk. Add a waist-defining belt and leg-lengthening platforms like Rihanna for a chic, cold-proof look!

My opinion: everyone who knows me knows that i ABSOLUTELY love leggings! I esp loving leggings with small embellishments. Such as small zippers, studs, etc. NOT the leggings with holes and rips. I feel leggings can make people look chic IF DONE RIGHT. leggings are not pants! I am sooo for wrap sweaters with leggings. I love having flowy, loose tops balanced with tight leggings NOT with tight tops.

Pile on the Thin Knits

Milla JovovichWhen it comes to your favorite sweaters, choosing only one is never easy—so why torture yourself? Wear them all! The trick is avoiding chunky knits and opting for thinner sweaters and cardigans that layer easily, without adding bulk. Take a cue from Milla Jovovich and choose knits in the same color family to keep your picks from looking random.


my opinion: hmmm i would soo do this if I didn't have to do laundry. I like the idea, but make sure they're thin sweaters/cardigans or you will look insanely funny.

Wear Soft and Flowy With Warm and WoolyDiane KrugerDon't shun your entire warm-weather wardrobe: Silk and chiffon dresses can be perfect with wool sweaters and heavy coats—their flowy silhouette keeps bulkier pieces from overwhelming an outfit, plus they showcase your legs! The trick is to chooselightweight skirts and dresses in seasonless colors like Diane Kruger's black and white printed version, making it anyone's guess when you bought it!


my opinion: i love wearing dresses with tights! But let's be real, who likes wearing wool? I'm really feeling bright tights from HUE too! They're on the thicker side Wearing dresses also shows off winter boots :)


Trade Your Coat for a Cape

Natalie PortmanSick of wearing your huge winter coat day in and day out? Change things up with a sleekcape for almost as much warmth, but a lot less fabric. Get a fresh, preppy look likeNatalie Portman by pairing wide-leg jeans and a printed scarf with a nautical-inspired cape.


my opinion: uhhhh Natalie Portman looks like Queen Elizabeth here eh? Hmmm i'd say wear smaller capes? Who buys CAPES? hahah I do like this cape however, it i'd ditch the scarf because she looks like she doesn't have a neck. Here's where i'd wear pants that are tight. You gotta be careful with this look or you might look like your from the Victorian times.

Trade Up With a Fedora

Sienna Miller - FedoraSwap your chunky beanie or oversize trapper hat for a sleek fedora like style setter Sienna Miller. The streamlined silhouette keeps your ears warm (promise!) and avoids the bulk of a wooly scarf, glove and hat set.


my opinion: I love Fedoras! However, wasn't that a summer look? I'm pretty sure if you look at summer issues of fashion magazines, Fedoras were under 'what's hot right now'...


and that's it! For winter i know i stock up on cardigans, dresses, tights, leggings lots of scarves, and cute boots.