Saturday, August 21, 2010

fall trends i love

Are you all reading your september issues? (Ranking of all the covers coming soon!). September issues are known for their preview of fall trends. So here are my top trends that I love for the upcoming fall season.

1. Fur
I noticed in the Elle September issue there was an abundance of fur pieces in advertisements. I'm not saying walking around head to toe covered in fur but using fur as an accessory- a little accent to your outfit. Such as fur scarves, fur hats, fur vests. This can make a very plain outfit of all black into street chic. I would wear fur with dark clothes. Black shirts with dark denim, black skinny pants, leggings, or even a dress. There are tons of color selection with fur, from white, red fox, black, and shades of brown, these pieces will make you very chic.
2. Capes
When I first read that capes were the new fall trend, I was a little skeptical. I immediately thought of Batman. However, the right styling with the pairing of a belt or overlapping really makes this look comfortable yet high fashion at the same time. This trend made a subtle introduction to the fashion world. It made a quiet entrance on the runways in 2009, and designers embraced the cape as one of the fall 2010 fundamental looks. Designers such as Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, and Salvatore Ferragamo. From fitted capes that are short to oversized floor sweeping flowing. For a fashionable and flattering sihoutte I would wear a cape with skinny dark pants, or a fitted dress.

3. Quilting
Quilting puts an emphasis on texture. I've seen quilting mostly on jackets, and Tory Burch picked up this trend and created new Reva quilted flats. It reminds me of Chanel's timeless vintage bags. It's a great way to look fashionable which is sometimes hard in colder weather.

4. Sheer clothing
This trend is not for your outfit to scream "look at me" or give up the 'skanky' vibe but it's a fun flirty yet sophisticated way to show some skin. With this trend it's all about layering and draping. Sheer clothing is built up on the cutout trend (spring 2009). It's a designers playful way to show off a woman's body without being to vulgar.

5. Tough Pleated Mini
Pair this trend with a pair of black delicate knee highs or tights and you'll look like an edgy sophisticated school girl. The pleated mini creates movement in your outfit opposed to a tight pencil skirt. It's more comfortable to walk in as well. This is a great fall look when the weather is still a bit warmer than winter- (for girls like me who hate to wear pants and feel more comfortable in dresses and skirts.)
tough-pleated-mini-fall-2010-trends.jpeg

6. White tights
When we reach for our tights we usually grab our black or nude olor tights. But when I think about tights I think of cold winter weather. White tights will make the color of your autumn colors pop more and makes your summer tan still glow. I'm talking about opaque white tights not shear. Shear white tights will make you seem like a toddler. (Remember those whtie tights you wore for easter when you were 5?) You can work your white tights with a black dress and black heels or mix it up with different textures of black and white prints. Or pair it up with different hues and textures.

And of course I had to insert a Gossip Girl fashion statement tidbit. Here are some pictures of GG using white tights:


So why do I love fall trends? I love layering, cooler weather, and darker colors because they are flattering to everyone. I love flats and boots opposed to rubber flip flops. I like to walk comfortably in the crisp autumn air around NYC without worrying about hot humid weather making my hair frizzy. So bring out your leather, fur, and tights! C'est le temp le plus merveilleux de d'an, c'est l'automne

Fashionably yours,
Karen