Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"On to the next one"-Jay ZA

Apres New York fashion week comes London and Milan Fashion Week. Italian fashion is my absolute favorite! My favorite designers are all Italian: Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Valentino, D&G, Ferragamo, Missoni, Cavalli, Pucci and the list is infinite! Italian designers exude elegance, couture, and are well knwon for their attention to dressing up well "la bella figura". I have traveled to Europe and I have visited London and many parts of Italy. From experience, walking around those areas, you will never find people walking around in sweat pants and sweat shirts. The streets of Europe are personal runways even to the everyday person.

In 2009, Milan was regarded as the world fashion capital, surpassing NY, Paris, Rome, and London. Milan's main upscale fashion district is the 'quadrilatero della moda' (Fashion quadrilateral- where the city's most prestigious shopping streets: Via Montenapoleone, Via della Spiga, Via Sant'Andrea, Via Manzoni, and Corso Venezia). So here are my favorite looks straight from Milan.

So to get in the mood for Milan Fashion week, I strongly suggest for you all to watch the documentary Valentino The Last Emperor. I own a copy and its absolutely delightful, witty, and engaging. I found it more entertaining than the September Issue documentary.
The documentary really took you into the life of Valentino, from his home, vacation homes, workroom, to his shows. The gowns he designs are absolutely breath taking. He truly knows how to create masterpieces, with the use of details. And who doesn't love 'Valentino Red'? In the summer of 2007, I was also in Rome the day after his exhibit and I snapped this picture.

So grab a copy of Valentino The Last Emperor and watch it! My next post I will list my favorite looks from the runway! Until next time...

Fashionably yours,
Karen